MEET Barrie Denmark, Esq.
Barrie M. Denmark brings to the practice of law over 30 years of management experience in the fields of arts, nonprofit corporations, health care, acredit, estate, and insurance products. Her areas of expertise include Medicare and Medicaid fraud, unemployment law, credit products, wills, trusts, criminal defense and elder law. At J.P. Ward & Associates, her primary practice focuses on court appearances relating to credit debt defense and DUI.
Barrie earned her Bachelor of Arts degree in Journalism at the Ohio State University forty years prior to earning her Juris Doctorate from Duquesne University School of Law in 2014. While in law school, Barrie was president of both the Black Law Students Association and the Public Interest Law Association. She earned two CALI awards of excellence. Prior to joining J.P. Ward & Associates, Barrie worked as a public defender in the Allegheny County Office of Conflict Counsel and with the international law firms of Marco Q Rossi & Assocaiti (Milan) and Mayer-Brown (Dusseldorf). She is a 2017 graduate of the Pittsburgh Mayor’s Civic Leadership Academy.
Before attending law school, Barrie was director of sales for the Victoria Theatre Association in Dayton, Ohio. She negotiated contracts with major Broadway producers to bring equity companies to Dayton to perform Broadway musicals. That experience generated her interest in the law of contracts. The theater is Barrie’s first love and her motto is, “Everything in life can be explained by a song from a Broadway musical.”
- Juris Doctor, June 2014 -Concentration in Health Law Duquesne University School of Law, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania -CALI Award for Excellence, Tax Exempt Organizations, 2012 -CALI Award for Excellence, Core Competencies, 2014 University of Cologne School of Law, Cologne, Germany, -International Corporate Law La Sorbonne Law School, Paris, France.
- Master of Organizational Leadership, specialization in Arts Management (15 credits completed before deciding to pursue a law career.) Gonzaga University, Spokane, Washington.
- Bachelor of Arts in Journalism, Certificate in Corporate Public Relations, May 1975 The Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio Kappa Tau Alpha, National Journalism Society Award.
Leadership, Membership & Honors
- Pittsburgh Civic Leadership Academy, 2017.
- Duquesne BLSA, President.
- Duquesne Public Interest Law Association, President and Auction Chair
- American Bar Association
- Allegheny County Bar Association, Arts and Law Committee, Homer S. Brown Diversity Committee.
- National Black Law Students Association, Chapter President.
- Phi Alpha Delta
Public Affiliations And Programs
- Board of Directors, Temple Israel, Dayton, Ohio
- Montgomery County Medical Auxiliary Board
- KinderConcerts Chairman, Dayton Philharmonic Women’s Association
- Auction and Fundraising Chairman, St. Elizabeth Foundation, Auction Chair, $600,000 goal attained.
- The Miami Valley School, Auction and Fundraising Committee Chair, exceeded goal by $400,000.
- National Conference for Community and Justice, Mentor
- Dayton Heart Hospital Development Board
- Dayton Council on World Affairs, Presenter
- Broadway League, Group Sales Presenters Division
- Crown Jewels of Dayton, Breast Cancer Screening and Awareness Program
- Trayvon Martin: Was Justice Served? Conceived, created, implemented a panel discussion with national experts on the legal issues and trial strategies employed in the controversial Zimmerman murder case, February, 2014
- Martin Luther King Day Prayer Breakfast: Conceived/generated student participation in community program
- Future Lawyers Day: Day long informational program and panel discussion with local minority high school students who are considering law as a career. March, 2014
- A Cut Above…Back to school preparedness for at risk youth, 2009—2010
- For Good: Scholarship program developed in conjunction with creators of Wicked, 2010.
- In Celie’s Footsteps: Educational outreach for at risk high school students with the Broadway producers of The Color Purple and Sinclair Community College, 2008.
- In the Attic: Holocaust awareness theatre program for grade school children, 2007.
- Raisin’ Cane: A Tribute to the Harlem Renaissance starring Jasmine Guy: In conjunction with The Links, Inc. and Alpha Kappa Alpha, 2007.